You may wonder if it’s actually worth it. You dedicate part of your free time into cleaning and then what seems like seconds later someone undoes what you just did. Cleaning isn’t everyone’s favorite chore. It certainly isn’t mine. The truth is, it’s WAY better to take the time to clean than the alternative, living in unhealthy filth. So, equip yourself with high-performing tools — e-cloths are an excellent choice — and you’ll be done in no time.
Here are our 9 reasons why keeping your home clean on a regular basis is a good idea.
1. Order creates peace – A clean house promotes less stress. Think about it: the world around you is a stressful, fast-paced chaotic place. You want to be able to leave the chaos and come home to a haven, so when you enter a clean, organized space, it fosters a sense of calm and peace. And, let’s face it, that’s pretty contagious.
(We liked this article from Very Well so much, we thought we’d share these 6 Ways Cleaning Alleviates Stress.)
2. Healthier family — It may seem obvious, but cleaning on a regular basis removes dirt, grime and bacteria that would otherwise build up around your house. This debris harbors allergens, dust and toxins brought in from the outdoors. In fact, just dust alone contains mites, dander, dead skin and hair and even dangerous chemical particles which can cause allergies, asthma attacks and decreased lung function. Cleaning away these toxins and impurities improves your family’s health. And the best part, you can do it quickly! For the best products for dusting, visit our Dusting page.
3. Panic-free surprise guests — If the thought of someone just stopping by unexpectedly makes you fly into utter panic, this one’s for you. By breaking up cleaning chores throughout the week, you’ll always be able to keep your home at some level of clean, but never feel overwhelmed in the process. Do one or two small cleaning tasks per day. Hint: Set a timer for 10 minutes and do a few quick chores. Your house will look better and you’ll probably feel better about the condition of your home.
Here’s a short list of tasks you can do to make your home look and feel cleaner:
- Dust floors and baseboards
- Mop floors
- Wipe down countertops in the kitchen and bathroom
- Shine and polish mirrors
- Dust flat surfaces
4. Set a Good Example and Teach Life Lessons — One of the best ways to teach children is through leading by example. When children see adults being responsible, they are learning healthy habits. That means your kids will see your cleaning and mirror the same cleaning behavior – or will at least adopt similar principles. This will instill in them the good habits of regular cleaning.
5. Better sleep — The truth is we can’t verify this with research, but ask yourself this: How often have I gone to bed but worried about the mess that I didn’t clean up? Leaving messes often causes more anxiety than necessary. Don’t leave things undone and you’ll (probably) sleep better. This brings with it the added bonus of waking up the next morning to a clean and straightened up home.
Here are a few things to make sure are done before going to bed each night:
- Wash and put away dishes
- Sweep the floor
- Wipe down kitchen and bathroom countertops
- Straighten up the living room (i.e. put away miscellaneous toys, hang up coats, put shoes away, etc.)
6. Prevent pest infestations — Things like dirty dinner plates, unswept floors and sticky countertops invite “pests like cockroaches, rodents and ants [which] seek out places where they can easily find food” according to ABC Home and Commercial Services, a regional pest control service. Homes that are not cleaned regularly attract pests more frequently than those that are clean. While a clean home won’t necessarily guarantee the absence of pests, it certain will make your home less appealing to them.
7. Aesthetically pleasing home — There are probably some amazing features of your house that made you fall in love and buy it. Your home is a source of pride. And it should be! By cleaning regularly, your home will always look its best. No more embarrassment when someone drops by or making half-hearted excuses when your mother-in-law visits.
8. Your things will last longer — The theory is that if you keep your home (especially higher-value things like appliances and furniture) in good, clean shape, they’ll last longer which will end up saving you money in the long run. Clean appliances immediately after using it and it’s almost certain that they will maintain their quality ….
9. You’ll spend less time cleaning — Cleaning a cleaner home is easier and quicker than cleaning a filthy one. Maintaining some level of clean in your home will make cleaning chores go that much faster and save hours of your time.
e-cloth has made cleaning easy for you. Stash a few cleaning tools throughout the house in high-traffic, “public” areas like the kitchen, bathroom and living room and you’ll be more motivated to clean on a regular basis.
What are your biggest reasons for cleaning? Share with us in the Comments section and maybe we’ll share your thoughts on social media.